Plastic kalimbas: discover the advantages and disadvantages of this material
Kalimbas are wind instruments, originally from Africa, which can be made from a variety of materials - including wood, steel and plastic. In recent years, plastic kalimbas have grown in popularity due to their specific advantages and reasonable price. But while this option is readily available and cost-effective, what are the pros and cons of this plastic instrument? Find out what you need to know before investing in a plastic kalimba.
Highlights of plastic kalimbas
1. Lightweight and portable - Plastic kalimbas are generally lightweight and space-saving, making them easy to transport. As a result, you can easily take them on vacation, on trips or for outdoor activities. Most models even fit in a coat pocket.
2. Affordable - The popularity of plastic in the manufacture of kalimbas has largely contributed to the fall in their price. Indeed, plastic is the cheapest of the materials used to make kalimbas. If you're looking for an affordable kalimba, you're sure to find one made from plastic.
3. Easy to maintain - Compared with the other materials used to make kalimbas, plastic is much easier to clean and maintain. It requires no lubrication, and can simply be cleaned with a damp cloth and a little soap. What's more, plastic doesn't corrode, and is unlikely to be damaged by harsh weather conditions such as rain.
Disadvantages of plastic kalimbas
1. Sound as rich as wooden models - Plastic kalimbas don't have the same deep, rich sound as their wooden counterparts. They are therefore less suitable for experienced musicians.
2. Less durable - Plastic kalimbas are prone to noise or even cracking due to wear and tear over time. If you want a kalimba that will last, you'd be better off choosing a wooden model.
3. Only available in certain sizes - Plastic kalimbas are generally available in specific sizes, and the options available are limited. This can make it more difficult to find the instrument that suits your musical taste and size preferences.
Plastic kalimbas can be an excellent option for those who want an affordable, portable instrument. Despite their many advantages, these instruments have drawbacks that should not be ignored. So consider all the factors before choosing a model, and you're sure to find the plastic kalimba that suits your musical style and budget.